Tuesday, November 6, 2018

INTRODUCTION TO MEDITATION PART V

SO HOW DO I MEDITATE...

So you've found your style and form of meditation and are ready to go. Now what. Without the proper preparation and guidance you could wallow endlessly for weeks only to become frustrated and quit. It happens, it happened to me.

My story...
I decided many years ago that I wanted to meditate. So I downloaded an app onto my phone. The next morning when the alarm went off I sat up in bed, put on my headphones, turned on the app and away I went. Away I went back to sleep. Within minutes I was back in la la land. No meditating. Maybe snoring but no meditating. Thinking I was just over tired I tried my experiment the next morning with similar results. So I tweaked my process and tried that evening. I didn't fall asleep but I was nowhere close to meditating. Over the course of the next few days I tried different times and places but could not connect. I could hear the instructor tell me to breathe and relax but I could not "get in the zone". Frustrated, I quit.

I put my desire on hold and started studying Buddhism and Hinduism. Not for religious values but because I learned that this is where meditation began so what better place to start. I read the Buddhas 4 Noble Truths and 8 Fold Path. I absorbed as much information as I could. I studied everything I could get my hands on to learn about meditation. I took local classes and eventually took an in depth course to become a Meditation Instructor. Please know that I had no intention on instructing anyone but did it for personal information and betterment. And I continue to study and learn today.

As mentioned in an earlier post (I suggest, if you haven't already, go back to the first post and start there) that we need a dedicated time and place to meditate. Get comfortable, close your eyes, relax and breathe. Go ahead, try it. Breathe, again, again and again. Easy, huh? Let's break it down.

All forms of meditation require concentration. Without concentration the mind takes over and all you achieve are minutes of thinking of the past or planning for the future. Remember, meditation is about living in the exact moment. So let's look at concentration. Again, in a previous post I suggest we use the breathe as our focal point. Close your eyes and take a deep breathe in through your nose, down to the lungs and back out. Do it again but this time focus on your nostril and feel the experience as the air enters and exits the nose. This is our exact point of concentration. Each beginning, middle and end of the breathe is our exact moment. Each breathe and each part of each breathe is a new experience happening at the exact moment we experience it. This is how we experience living in the moment. Practice the breathing technique as you sit quietly but beware, DISTRACTIONS AHEAD.

Next post...DISTRACTIONS