Wednesday, January 2, 2019

INTRODUCTION TO MEDITATION PART X

A DISTRACTION CALLED FEELING

So we've covered sound and thought but what about a feeling? An itch, a fly landing on us or some sort of uncomfortability or outright pain. Let's work backwards on this one.

If you are experiencing pain, real pain, STOP MEDITATION. Awareness and concentration are good but not that good. You will not overcome extreme pain. Having a tightness in your chest and tingling down your left arm will not go away through meditation. You may be experiencing a heart attack and you must stop and possibly seek medical attention.

Next up, uncomfortability. Let's say that the position you choose is not comfortable. Two choices. Change position or meditate through the feeling. Sometimes we can simply get through the feeling the same way we get through sound and thought, identify it as a feeling and move it along. But let's say it is a cramp or something that is not just going to move along fast. Concentrate on the pain. Redirect your concentration from your breathe onto the pain and use it as your focal point, Continue to breathe but lock onto the pain. Remember we said that a focal point can be your breath, a candle, a spot on the wall, so why not a tight muscle. Relax, breathe and focus on the pain. Again, if it is extreme pain that overwhelms you, stop. But before you do that, try concentrating on it. Try to meditate through it. If you are successful, which I believe you will be, the pain will move on and you can shift the concentration back to the breath. Plus you've learned a valuable meditation lesson, dealing with the distraction feeling associated with pain. To a lesser degree we can use the same technique for a fly or an itch. If simply identifying it as a feeling and moving along doesn't work go to the distraction and focus.

A quick story. Some years ago I underwent a routine dental procedure, the placement of a new crown. In and out, no biggie. I then proceeded to travel to Erie. By the time I got there, there was a tennis ball size lump on my face and I was hurting. Unfortunately I had no pain medication sufficient to relieve the pain I was experiencing and had no way to secure any. I put ice on it but not sufficient relief. So I tried meditation. I concentrated on the throbbing in my jaw and locked on. Even a throb has a beginning a middle and an end. Much to my surprise, I was able to focus on it, stay with it and the pain got less and less. It was still pain but during my meditation is was manageable pain.

You will be amazed as to how fast we can move these things along WITH PRACTICE. As we continue to apply what we learn and experience we become better at what we do. Meditation is no different than learning the piano or cooking. In the beginning we will probably burn more meals than are edible but over time the finished product will become delicious.

Awareness and concentration,ah, what a beautiful thing.

Next post - BUT I CAN'T BLOCK THE DISTRACTIONS