Monday, January 7, 2019

INTRODUCTION TO MEDITATION - PART XI

BUT I CAN'T BLOCK THE DISTRACTIONS

So we have spent the last few posts talking about concentration and awareness and the roles they play in meditation. We showed how to use each to play off of the other to get our mind's where they need to be. But what if, no matter how hard we try, we cannot stop the thought distraction. No problemo.

Periodically I allow thoughts into my session. Sort of a self-help meditation. I look at them to see if there is a life lesson in there somewhere. Maybe I'm getting a message that I need to be more loving or compassionate. That I need to let go of something. Sometimes I get the message fast, other times it comes to me long after the session. While meditation is about staying in the here and now, the moment, using the conscious mind, we can periodically get insight from the subconscious. After all, that's where all our memories are stored and every now and then those memories trigger a thought that can lead to positive change. I know, I know, make up your mind. Don't allow distractions in, allow them in. Don't run off of the subconscious, look at the subconscious. All I'm saying is that once in a little while we can use meditation to look at ourselves in real time while we meditate. I would much rather use this technique then to get up from a session because I'm struggling to calm the mind.

Remember there are many different styles and forms of meditation and just as Metta is used to force good thoughts and vibes into and out of our mind you can use this "self-exploration" periodically without negative effects. Keep in mind that this is not a suggested everyday practice but a fail safe if we struggle. As time goes by we become better at meditation, it becomes easier to calm and discipline the mind and thoughts seem less and less. Meditation is about seeing what we see and experiencing what we experience without judgement so don't be afraid to take a peek every now and then.

Next post - LET'S GET IT ON